Tuesday 20 April 2021

2021 goal: Read, learn, grow

2021 goal: Read, learn grow 

I have never been much of a big reader. You always hear that most successful business people read a lot of books. I knew I was missing a trick but I couldn't just never make reading a habit. I would pick up a book, read a few chapters and just lose interest. 

Last year, I picked up a book and challenged myself to read the whole thing, no matter how long it took, and how many times I got distracted, I was determined to get from front to back. 

It was the satisfaction of finishing that book, which drove me to (the next day) pick up my next. It wasn't just the personal satisfaction that made me eager to read more, it was also the ideas that popped into my head whilst reading. It made me question my way of working and think up improvement ideas. It was relatable to the way I worked and extremely valuable in terms of thinking how I/the team could do better.

With this new thirst for reading (and a keen mindset to keep it up) I set myself a goal for 2021 to read at least 10 books. If reading 1 book had helped me, what could 10 do!! 

I still wouldn't say that reading for me has become a "habit". I still sometimes have to convince myself to get through "at least one chapter" especially on a busy week... but... the improvement of how much I have learnt from last year to this year is immense. We're just under 4 months in, I am on my 5th book and completed 1 audio book. I've even selected my next few books and my list seems to be growing quicker than it is shrinking. 








No comments:

Post a Comment